XZ550

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

2 posters

A short putt to excercise the Vision

Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

A short putt to excercise the Vision Empty A short putt to excercise the Vision

Post  Rick G Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:25 am

A couple of friends and I were supposed to ride up towards Seligman today, it being way too hot to head towards the river.
    After mucking around with the bag mounts on Teresa's new Star 950 crusier, for nearly two hours , they decided , it was too hot to ride (98.f in Kingman)so I headed up 66 alone. Temps dropped steadily, as I proceeded to gain altitude . Finally dropping to 88.F in Seligman. I had a late lunch and regretted it . There are no good eateries in Seligman. I should have waited until I got to Peach springs on the way back, there's only one place there , but its excellent !!
    On the way up, the Vision exibited a malfunction, it would miss, sounding like Morse code . Dit Dit Da Da Da dit da da dit dit. Anyway you get the idea.
    It was fine at low rpm , up to 1/4 throttle and fine above 7000 rpm, but in between it was Morse code.
    So I kept it above 7000 and it purred right along.
    After my lack luster meal, I gassed up , it taking just over 2 gallons for the 97 miles from Kingman. Not bad for 7000 rpm! Did have a slight tail wind tho!
    The return trip it ran perfectly , with no code! I think it was vapor lock , its done it before. Don Minor and I talked about adding some kind of duct system to introduce cooler air to the carb area under the tank, I'll have to see what I can come up with.
    Return trip took exactly 1 hour , scooted right along! Not a bad three hour adventure. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Rick G on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
    YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

A short putt to excercise the Vision Empty Re: A short putt to excercise the Vision

Post  YellowJacket Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Loose plug wire?

Mine was doing the morse code thing when my float got stuck....except I lost almost a whole tank of gas in about 14 miles. Shocked

David
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

A short putt to excercise the Vision Empty Re: A short putt to excercise the Vision

Post  Rick G Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 am

No, David its done it before and I'm convinced its vapor lock . Even with the baffle in front of the carbs , in this climate , it gets hot under the tank .Either that or the carb swallow something and spit it out while I was eating. I'm going to try ducting some air under there and see what happens. Like I said , its done it before and always under very hot conditions.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am