XZ550

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

+8
akvision
VFan
Brian Moffet
kev10104
funkamongus
H2O
Rick G
YellowJacket
12 posters

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself

YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself

Post  YellowJacket Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:31 pm

A long time ago on Riders of Vision we had a thread going where we all introduced ourselves and told a little about our bikes. For the most part, everyone here knows each other to some extent but I'd like to start a new thread here for the benefit of some of the newcomers over the last year or so and new members in the future. I'll probably give this thread "stickie" status meaning it will stay at the top of the forum.

I'll start the ball rolling...

Hello everyone, I'm David, aka YellowJacket! and I live in Knoxville, TN. I'm the third owner (and probably final) of my 1982 Vision which I paid $1.00 for in 2005. At first, I thought it was a bargain but with all the work, tools and parts, I'd have to say that I have a good $2000.00 in her.
    She's a great bike and is somewhat of an 82/83 hybrid. 82 at heart with a full 1983 suspension, and hardbags off of a 1983 Virago. I've done about 99% of the work on her. I had done the original yellow paint job but when my tank needed to be replaced, I did all the prep work on the plastics and new (had never been used before) tank then had a friend who is a professional painter do the Chevy Yellow paintjob that is now YellowJackets signature. For those of you who don't know me, YJ as I call her is pictured in the upper left of corner of each page on this site. Many ask me why I call her YallowJacket when Im NOT a Georgia Tech fan. Well...one day someone made a comment about looking like a bumble bee. I really didn't see anything macho or masculine in that, in fact, images of winnie the pooh came to mind (sorry Tigger...um, Tiger) so I said.."Its not a bumble bee! Its a Yellow Jacket!" and the name stuck.

Professionally, I'm a Respiratory Therapist but will be quitting my job next year and going to school to be a Physician Assistant. I'll be working in cardiothoracic surgery when I'm all done.

Lastly...and most importantly, I'd like to say thank you to all the members on this site who made ROV what it is and hopefully this site what it could be. We are all preserving the future of this great bike we all hold so near and dear!

All the best!

David/YellowJacket
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty Re: Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself

Post  Rick G Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Ok here goes. I'm 67 and a retired HVAC tech. My first carrier was as a motorcycle mechanic, starting in 1962 and continuing until 1980, when I graduated from HVAC school.
    I bought my first vision in 1999, doing a minor rebuild on it , to get it on the road. This was near MPLS MINN., where many Vision were sold. When we moved to Stayton OR.in 2001, I brought 2 visions and lots of boxes of parts along , having bought parts bikes.I went back to working on bikes in a greasy hole in the wall in Salem OR. motorcycle Maintenance Specialties.
    Shortly before leaving OR. in 2004, I did a horse trade and ended up with 3 more Visions , to load to the truck, so the total is 8.5 Visions , including the one I'm riding.

I have a 1982/83 hybred, it has the '83 dual disc front end, adjustable rear shock and fairing. I've added MAC pipes to it and a custom triple clamp , to allow me to use real handle bars. It also has fork brace and a digital volt meter (very much recommended) I intend to ride it until I can't ride anymore! My family knows they will have to pry my cold , dead hands from the bars. Laughing Laughing Laughing
    H2O
    H2O
    Admin
    Admin

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty Re: Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself

Post  H2O Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm a 49 year old self-underemployed attorney, living in Northern Colorado. I bought my Vision as a new 'holdover' in June, 1984. The Dealership (which no longer exists) was Thunder Motors Yamaha of Steamboat Springs. When I bought my V, it had 6 total miles on the odometer. Today, it has something over 16,000. it has had a few multi-year periods of non-use. however, after discovering the ROV several years ago, i've put at least 2,000 miles a year on it. Riding season here is fairly short & I only ride it for personal enjoyment, not commuting or errand running.

When I bought the bike, I also got the "Shark" sport fairing, case guards and Soft saddlebags / tank bag. The dealer threw in a Bell Tourstar II helmet as well. The Visions were still clogging dealer's showrooms and Yamaha had great incentives back then - I paid $1300 for it. Cool Add in an additional $250 for the fairing & case guard plus $200 for the luggage and it was still a good deal.

In the last few years, I have updated the Star Silver V with many 83 parts. I've installed a full fairing, low handlebar risers, the 83 rear shock, 83 forks & dual disc brakes with braided stainless lines & 83 master cylinder, the 83 footpegs, shift lever rod & rear brake pedal. I'm in the process of slowly cleaning & rebuilding a set of 83 carbs and have a solid (no-rust at all) but slightly dented 83 fuel tank to get straightened, painted & installed with the 83 carbs. I also installed an 83 instrument cluster (140MPH speedo Cool & fuel gauge). There's also a fork brace, Vista Cruise, Formotion clock & thermometer, volt gauge, manual cooling fan switch, auxilliary lights & Grab-On foam grips.

I just installed a new battery yesterday (first one in 5 years & 12,000 miles). Been through countless stators but 90% sure I have that issue mostly solved. All I really have left is to get the fuel system completed and have the whole thing professionally repainted (in OEM Star Silver).

I have a second V (Tractor - due to the John Deere Green paint)that is currently awaiting a rebuild. I plan to get it well restored and sell it later this summer.

I recently embarked on a new hobby - astronomy and astrophotography. I thought motorcycles were money pits, but they're cheap when compared to the potential expenditures on telescopes, mounts, eyeppieces & cameras! Other interests are alpine skiing, whitewater rafting and being a pit monkey on a Formula Mazda in SCCA Club Racing competition.

H2O
    funkamongus
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  funkamongus Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Im Scott Im 43, Live in Tahoe, and Im a musician.. Was anyway. I still play now and then but not enough.. I worked as a heavy equipment operator for the last 2 years and am currently on the unemployment roster. I hate it, but am very grateful for it. Ive always loved bikes.. had one when I was younger, a Kawasaki KZ750.. It got stolen and I went without for over 20 years.. I started thinking about them again and I was helping a friend in Ajo Arizona and I noticed he had an old Maico from 82.. a Motocross Racer 250.. in pieces.. left in the desert. It had been raced by my friend Dan when it was new and true to the moniker maico breako,, they went through all the crap parts and upgraded them.. so I get it, FREE, with a new sleeve and put a new piston (old one was holed) a few other small parts and BAM starts right up.. dial her in ,, she is a real go getter.. Rear shock broke so its out for rebuild. About 2 months later Im on a gig with a guitar player friend of mine and we're talking bikes,, he says, I have one you can HAVE, FREE, its an 82 virago 920 in pieces.. Months later,, its nearly perfect,, same guy says at the next gig,, I have an 82 vision thats a non runner,, want it for 100 bucks?? I said SURE,, now, 3 runners. On the next gig I drove my blazer so he couldnt load me up with another!!! Gonna turn the Vision into a cold weather bike,,I have the 83 full fairing on the way, and am gonna put some heater accessory plugs on it. I need to paint the tank on the Virago and the entire vision/fairing black. Its been too humid lately for that so Im on hold. I also have a full vetter fairing for the virago if I choose to use it.. Otherwise, Im just trying to keep it together like everyone.. losing (lost) faith in our government, see greed everywhere, watching people throw money at greed to try to fix it??!?! (explain THAT to me) feeling very disenfranchised. The only suggestion for that,,, smile and go riding. Screw everything else.
    kev10104
    YIKES!
    YIKES!

Post  kev10104 Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:55 am

Hey everyone,I'm Kevin and the vision is my very first bike.I bought it from a guy who drove it to my driveway and I paid him and he left.The bike wouldn't start.I got a mechanic to replace the stator and still had problems with starting it.I met Tiger and he replaced the starter clutch and everything was great after that.I have been learning tons from Tiger and absolutely love the bike.
    Brian Moffet
    Brian Moffet
    YIKES!
    YIKES!

Post  Brian Moffet Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm currently 46, and I bought my very first motorcycle in April 1986. It was my 1983 Vision, and had 10 miles on it. It now has 44000 on it. Probably most of that mileage (well over 90 percent) has been daily commute to work. Between when I bought it in 1986 and moving close enough to work so I could in 1995, I commuted 10 miles each way, pretty much every day of the year. When I stopped, I didn't use it much. It broke down on the way to a CROV ride in 2006 on March 31. On July 4, I started a 10 month restoration project on it, pulling off and checking everything in the bike. I didn't tear down the engine because I determined it was probably not the problem. On April 21, 2007, I once again rode the bike. It had 40,000 miles on it. Since then, I moved to San Francisco, CA, and have been commuting on it once again, 14 miles per day in city traffic. On December 16th, 2008, I locked the front wheel up and low-sided the bike. The first accident it had ever been in.

Professionally, I've been a computer programmer since before graduating college. I'm one of those "started programming when I was 12" people. In my case, 12 was prior to Star Wars coming out. In 1985 or so, I sent in a resume to work at Industrial Light and Magic. In July, 2007, they finally made me an offer...

I have been an amateur photographer for many years, specializing in nature (particularly birds). Combining it with another hobby of mine, flying, I have started taking aerial photographs of the California coast line. I enjoy vintage aircraft, and currently own an airplane first built in December 1946. It has been rebuilt several times since, but not by me.

I own a 1966 Austin-Healey Sprite, which will be rebuilt much like I rebuilt the Vision. I also have played the clarinet since 1970 or so, though not necessarily as well as the years might indicate.

I've been married for over 20 years. She also has a motorcycle, a Yamaha Radian.
    VFan
    VFan
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  VFan Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm one of those folks that feel the emotion of motion. I've enjoyed power sports most of my life - 50 years worth. When, I was a kid, my dad said absolutely No motorcycles. I had my first mini-bike at 12, motorcycle at 16. I had gone through about 10 motorcycles by 20; everyone of which I paid for with my own money.

In '82, the Vision caught my eye but was out of my price range so I bought a used '79 KZ1000. By late '83 the entire motorcycle market was completely saturated with too much product sitting in warehouses. Pricing fell through the floor, but I was in college (meaning quite poor) and already a committed owner of my KZ. Within a few years, I sold my KZ and family life kept me from motorcycles for around 20 years.

In 2003, I got back in the game with some dirt bikes and by last year purchased a majorly neglected RJ for $150. Since then, I've been buying OEM, NOS, and used parts assembling pieces together. I think I'm mostly there. I'm still quite a novice to the XZ and this and RoV has been an absolute treasure trove of information.

I'm a product manager for software company which consumes a lot of hours. Often, work gets in the way of riding or even signing on this forum, but I do have a lot of aspirations about riding. The mountain west has a lot of lonely roads that I want to travel on my RJ. I will confess that I do have some fear of getting stranded in a remote location with a shot stator or R/R.

I'm still a novice with the XZ550 so always appreciate the help and responses to my questions on this and ROV forums.

Cheers,
    Kent Purdy
    akvision
    akvision
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  akvision Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Just a guy that appreciates finess. It is not about what you do, it is how you carry out the task. I love passion about workmanship and style. I am a believer in taking the time and doing it right.

A born and raised Alaskan, with a 20 year stint in the city... had to get back to my roots and have been back for the last 30 years. Am from wayout in western AK, a place called the Kuskokwim. It is the second largest drainage in Alaska. My folks were fishers, and miners, am the youngest of six and got the best training from my siblings. You know, I could never get anything right, so I got all the advice and spoils.

Have had a passion for two wheels since I was 5. Later I tried to adapt an old washing machine motor to a bike. Never did figure out the clutch. My first bike was a "Ace 90 Hodaka" all chrome and red frame. Loved it. My buddy ran over it with the "Cat", he accidentally backed over it. Anyway, I was hooked. Then came a Harley 250 Sprint honda350, honda 550-4, BMW R90S, RD350, CB160, BMW R50, AK "Vision" and now "Blue Vision".

I love to water sports, sailing and winter snow sports.

Rhpaw last year reawoke my vision to ride again. We are planning a ride from Denver to Roswell in September then perhaps a longer ride next spring. I would like to do on ride on the Cassiar Highway before I die. Maybe go to Yellowknife too.
    I am trained to be a bean counter and ended up in as and Investment Advisor. Fits me perfectly. It is a long way from the kid in Flat, Alaska.
    thanks for your interest.

AkVision
    Glyn
    Glyn

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty Glyn from New Zealand

Post  Glyn Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:36 am

I'm a 50 year old boring Accountant, also currently unemployed! Born and raised in County Durham, North East England and after university off to Johannesburg for 14 years. Met Vanessa, had the children (and more bikes) and finally ended up here in Auckland. Like most of us have had loads of bikes. Best/most memorable a 1950's D1 BSA Bantam, unburstable (German) engineering. Worst/most dangerous XJ900 Yamaha, too much power and skinny tyres.

I've always liked twins (Guzzi's, BM's Honda 400N's (owch). After putting on some big miles on CX500 Honda's in Africa I was looking for another, after selling my MZ 250 that was leaking from every where. Instead I found a Vision. My 1882 XZ was a field bike (Red with white stripe). Good motor, bad tinware. Bought 2 bikes shortly after for $300 NZD. Perfect tinware, deceased motors. My XZ now has over 50,000 kms on the clock. I've put about 8 of those on. It's a bit of a fair weather bike but commutes well and has only stranded me once due to oiled plugs (carb too rich). I like modifying things, especially my bikes. Not too radical just to improve them (hopefully). The XZ now has Lucky's oil cooler kit, a Weber IDF carb with one off alloy manifold (adapted from an Austin Mini) and a Triumph T600 shock and adaptor plates. I think we only got the 82 model here in NZ but also lots of 400cc bikes. My 550 has the slotted discs off a 400, need them with all the rain here!

In the shed is a Army retro look CX500, also with plenty of mods and a Suzuki GP100 (not yet adapted).

I run as many marathons as my aging body will allow and of course am restoring the house (arn't we all). I live in a pretty laid back country which is relatively peaceful and gun/drug free at the moment. It's got lovely mountains, trails and curves which is great for biking, when it's not raining. I'm a a bit of a greenie I think that Capitalism is/will be the down fall of us all. But what else works (or doesn't work..).

Always great to talk bikes, and the Vision is a great bike. Safe riding all.
    YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  YellowJacket Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:10 am

Thats interesting to read what you said in your last paragraph Glyn. My wife and I were just talking about where in the world could we go live and get away from all the crap that is going on. We both said "New Zeland" at the same time. It looks like a beautiful place to live.

David
    Glyn
    Glyn

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty New Zealand

Post  Glyn Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Yes this place is called "Gods Own" by the locals and indeed is beautiful. We are not immune from the economic fallout of recent times however. You will battle to make lots of $$ here, but are unlikely to starve either. It is a place of moderation, lots of rain in the winter. If you or any members are seriously considering a move I can advise the pro's and con's of various islands /areas / occupations etc.

I think I may start a new thread under technical for my carb conversion to keep it in one place. Got to go out and look for some work today but will send you some pictures, notes etc later. I'm no editor so it may be better for YellowJacket to work out the best way to post these.
    Tiffanator

Post  Tiffanator Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello all. I'm Tiffany, last time I checked I was 27-1/2 years old. (That half is very important to me, my mom said I was 28 the other day so I yelled, I'M 27-1/2!)
    Anywhoo, the vision was what got me started on motorcycles. I had wanted one all my life and my mother said no way, no how. Well... I moved out on my own and was looking for a restoration project. My cousin had an old vision that had sat in the rain for at least 3 years and he said I could have it. I had never ridden a motorcycle at this point, so I bought a 2003 Ninja 500. Rode it for 6 months and bought my current bike, a 2003 Z1000. I got the Vision to run, then tore it down for a full restoration. I ran into many problems with holes in the gas tank and icky carbs, but I think I've sorted most of that. Here I am... 2.5 years later the bike is mostly back together, just lacks the exhaust being put back on, paint on the plastics and a few things here and there to hook up.
    Unfortunately, over these last 2.5 years I have accumulated a few more bikes and am not sure that I will have room (or money) for the vision once it is finished. I now have a 2001 CRF230F and am in the process of building an SV650 race bike, along with my street bike. My garage is full.
    Thats pretty much it. Dave emailed me the link to the site a while back, and I've just now finally joined. Wooo! Thanks for setting up the site Dave!
    YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  YellowJacket Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Tiffinator! Good to see you here.

David
    funkamongus
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  funkamongus Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey Tiff!! That rocks that you like working on bikes! Glad to hear it.
    djk

Post  djk Fri May 18, 2012 3:57 am

this is a picture of an xz550 i just picked up

https://servimg.com/view/17521983/2

got the carbs in a box slowly getting cleaned and reassembled.
    i really dig the simple engineering of this bike.
    i've had this for just over a week. pd $150. was in pretty sad stock form so i've decided to dress her up a bit.
    lots of things to do... fairing/seat brackets to fab and weld on,
    relocate overflow/cdi/battery to clear passage for cleaner line,
    clipons, cut stock top triple for fork end caps only, replace silencers with alloy cans in line with rear seat(aprilia rs250)

i think this will be a cool little bike to buzz around on this summer
    would love to see some other custom pictures of these bikes
    looking on google has only revealed a few...maybe im going the wrong way? stock is better?? oh well, little late for that so i will keep "progressing"
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm

That's a very interesting Vision! Where are you located!
    KGrandke

Tell Us Who You Are and a Little...or A Lot About Yourself Empty The New Guy

Post  KGrandke Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi eveyone, this is my fist "new" bike bought it about a month ago 82 Vision.  I am not a stranger of wrenching on bikes/cars/paintball/firearms etc.  former Technician for Sears Automotive, former Air Smith for Airgun Designs and WorrGame products as well as Ricoh/Ikon Office solutions.  On my free time I hunt people.  In other words I do Search and Rescue for the USAF.  Thank you all for the add to the group.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am