XZ550

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

+3
Tiger
rhpaw
VFan
7 posters

Smelly Vision

VFan
    VFan
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Smelly Vision Empty Smelly Vision

Post  VFan Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:25 pm

My '82 XZ smells of gasoline to a point that I'm not able to store it in the garage but instead keep it outside. My initial assumption was that the petcock was leaking through the primer opening and draining into the engine but when I set the petcock to "on" is seals tight and there is no leaking at all through the prime gas line. There are no signs of gasoline anywhere that I can see, on the engine, frame, or the cement underneath it. Any carburetor openings that I should be looking at or any other suggestions?

Any ideas appreciated
    rhpaw
    rhpaw

Smelly Vision Empty Re: Smelly Vision

Post  rhpaw Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Could be your tank cap sealing badly.

You could also be weeping from the carb drains to the middle of the V. I've had this happen for no good reason a few times.. stinks up the garage like mad.
    Tiger
    Tiger
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  Tiger Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Cool If you don't have a visible gas leak puddle/stain on your garage floor, remove the gas tank and look, on the top left side of the carbs, you should have two clear plastic vent hoses, one front and the other on the rear carb...if these are missing, as they sometimes are, that could be your source... scratch

sunny ...TIGER... sunny
    achmed
    achmed
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  achmed Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:01 pm

could also be...

the bottom piece of the petcock where the hose connects is a press fit.

take a block of wood and hammer(SFH) and give it a good tap ^up^

my carbs weep from the main jet brass plugs... need to aneal the washers sometime.... but OTOH I like the smell of gas in the morning drunken .
    H2O
    H2O
    Admin
    Admin

Post  H2O Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:12 pm

Achmed -

So that's why you look the way you do! Laughing

H2O
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Site Admin Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Mine does the same. My initial guess was that it was because the fuel was evaporating from the float bowls because the bike was hot. But, it still does it after sitting for several days without riding.
    I asked the same question on ROV right before the site wnet down and the most common answer I got was the possibility of a poor fuel cap vent or seal.

Didn't you ask in another psot about having to use the choke when your bike is hot? If so, you may have a fuel system problem that either needs to be cleaned, sealed or adjusted.

David
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Site Admin Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 pm

H2O wrote:Achmed -

So that's why you look the way you do! Laughing

H2O

Didn't achmed fail his bomb making class?

Saw a cartoon once. It was titled "suicide bombing class" and the instructor was standing around a whole group of recruits wearing a vest and holding a trigger in his hand. The caption said, "Now I'm only going to show you once how to do this".

Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil What a Face What a Face

David
    VFan
    VFan
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  VFan Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 pm

This is all great feedback. I had some time this evening to do a deeper inspection based on these ideas and I believe that they all checked out, but this exercise did prompt me to sniff my carburetors inch by inch. I think the problem might be my fuel filter. There isn't any leaking (it's all dry) but it does reek with fumes. Within the next few weeks, I'm going to replace it with a different brand see if the strong odor subsides. I may have gone too cheap.

Thanks to all
    VFan
    VFan
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  VFan Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Upon second inspection, the gasoline smell is coming from the petcock right next to the filter. I expect that a rebuild kit should remedy this. naive?

To repeat, the problem that I'm trying to solve is that the gasoline odor is so strong that I'm not able to store my RJ in the garage.
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:02 am

The petcock is an easy rebuild. As a temporary measure, you can reverse the 4 hole rubber washer , (IE: front to back ) This part wears on the front and reversing it , in the majority of times will solve the problem .
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Site Admin Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:33 am

I noticed that since giving my carbs a thorough cleaning the other day because if a stuck float, I no longer have the gad odor in my garage. I think at that point, the float was stuck just enough to let a little gas spill over but not enough to let it drip out onto the gagage floor.

David

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm