XZ550

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights

YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights Empty Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights

Post  YellowJacket Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 pm

OK, got a little graduation cash and I'd like to put some running lights on YJ to make her a little mor visible - as well as make me a little more visible as well.

I've narrowed it down to a few kits and am going to go with either fork tube mount or engine bar mount...most likely the engine bars. I did find one set that bolts to the caliper bolts which would have been very nice but being priced at more than my bike is worth, it was out of the question.

So, I'm looking at these sets (first place I looked was J+P Cycles but other and better suggestions are more than welcome of course)

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=3300750&Ntt=3300750&Ntk=product_number&Ne=0&N=0&Ntt=3300750&Ntk=sku_search&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10

or these Kuryakyn with either fork mounts or engine guard mounts:
    http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=330-516&Ntt=330516&Ntk=product_number&Ne=0&N=0&Ntt=330516&Ntk=All&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10

and of course the mounts that go with them.

Any other suggestions for driving lights are welcome.

For rear marker lights, I'm looking at some simple stickon LED lights for my saddle bags J+P has tehem as well:

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=3300774&Ntt=3300774&Ntk=product_number&Ne=0&N=0&Ntt=3300774&Ntk=sku_search&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10

I guess the main thing is Can my stator handle them?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them.

Thanks, David
    YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights Empty Re: Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights

Post  YellowJacket Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:41 pm

First Setup:
    OK, the new lights arrived today and I did a dry fit to figure out the best location on the engine guards. The lights are a bit bigger than I thought but will work out very good. The 35 watt (each) bulbs should be OK with my charging system. The "P-Clamps" were a little loose so I'll have to add a bit more shim to tighten them up. I'll also have to source a relay and some wiring as the kit only came with pigtails - nothing else. :-(

As far as "following the lines of the bike", I kind of missed the mark as far as looks. Everything on teh Vision is angular but the lights are smooth looking. But, they serve a specific purpose and thats making me be seen better.

David

Heres some pics:
    Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850467

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850469

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850471

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850472

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850473

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights SN850474
    YellowJacket
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  YellowJacket Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Second and Final Setup:
    OK, so after the harley guy told me to go drink a can of beer and the little light came on inside my head as to what he was talking about, I set out to get the lights mounted.

Foregoing all the honeydo things I was supposed to do, the first half of my day was occupied by getting my carbs back in order and installed. Accomplished that and YJ is back to running like a top. The second half of my day was reluctantly whittling away at the long honey do list. Got the dogs bathed, painted both dormers, painted 4 of 13 window frames. (note to self - kick the painter that painted my house 2 years ago. Must have used water colors).

The third half of my day was spent installing the lights on the engine guards. Got it done and the can trick worked like a charm. One of the screws stripped so I'll have to contact Kuryakyn support to see if I can get another one. I also flipped the P brackets 180 degrees which brings the lights in a bit closer to the engine guards. They don't stick out as much anymore and it looks a whole lot better. For now, the wire is held to the engine guard by some black zip ties. I've seen some "chrome" ones so I may pick them up and swap them put eventually. So, of course, more pictures must be presented to show off the project for prosperity.

The fouth half of my day was spent with the wife and dogs enjoying ice cream (except Dexter - he just got the ride in the car which suits him just fine) at our local Sonic Drive-in.

Pictures:

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights DSCF0002-5

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights DSCF0003-4

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights DSCF0004-5

Enlighten Me - New Driving Lights DSCF0005-4

David

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am