XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

Considering buying a Vision

dcandage

Considering buying a Vision

Post  dcandage on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Dave and I live in Maine. I have been interested in the Vision for a long time. I've actually only seen one in person. Guy was surprised that I even knew what it was. If anyone knows of one for sale relatively close to southern Maine, I'd appreciate some info.

thankx,

Dave
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Re: Considering buying a Vision

Post  funkamongus on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 am

Keep an eye in craigslist and ebay.. I'll be looking, too, if I run across one Ill let you know...

dcandage

Post  dcandage on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 am

Craigslist hasn't provided much. I did find one in CT. A 1982. Is $1400 a little high?
    Another one in Long Island, NY . A 1983. Asking $1200.
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 am

d, it all depends on condition . '82's have single disc brakes and most likely will not have the full fairing, lower bar risers and rear set foot rests and controls. They do come in black , grey and red, grey is fairly rare.
    The '83's all come with dual disc front brakes , full fairing, short handle bar risers and rear set foot rests and controls. The also have "improved" carbs (I'm not convinced there an improvement.)
    All '83's are black and gold with black "chrome" exhaust systems.prices have been slowly climbing over the years and the ones you quote are not out of line for clean examples.
    Tiger
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  Tiger on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 am

sunny Dave, "Night_Vision" has a, a ground up rebuilt '82, a real beauty...He's in the Syracuse area... sunny

sunny ...TIGER... sunny
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  funkamongus on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 am

If I was going to buy one,, Id buy it from tiger or nightvision or another one of the gurus here.. noone will know more about your bike.. These folks actually DO have your best interests at heart. You'll not find a bike out there that has been gone over like these guys will do, they know the weak spots and the fixes.. easy choice..
    H2O
    Admin
    Admin

Post  H2O on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Since you are close to the border, you might check up North for Visions as well. Tiger is a good source and you would get a good runner that is safe to ride. If that's too far, keep an eye for Vs closer to you, where they tend to speak more French. Wink

Canada had 83 Visions in red / white with chrome exhausts that were unavailable in the US. Those are some really pretty bikes!

The 82 you linked to is a repaint - looks like a nice color, though. I'd find out how it was repainted (rattlecan - amateur gun - professional) since that can affect the value if it will need paint soon. The 83s are much rarer than 82s and generally sell for a little higher price. They are upgraded from 82s in more than cosmetics & brakes - the suspension is vastly improved with a better rear shock & air forks.

Hope you find a good one relatively close!

H2O
    VFan
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  VFan on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:39 pm

I'll restate what was said earlier that in terms of price (both time and money) it's all about bike condition. It will be cheaper buying a fairly high priced Vision that's been aggressively maintained than a cheap one. Last year I purchased my bike for $150 and you could effectively make the argument that free was too high of price. It had many parts that were missing or damaged. I keep an eye out on shops that specialize in NOS parts as well as parts in good condition on ebay. Part of the reason for me purchasing the one I did was because finding a Vision in Utah wasn't easy. Looking back, it would have been cheaper for me to use some frequent flyer miles to pick up the right bike and drive it back home, or even have it shipped.

More importantly, what are you looking for in your purchase? For me it's all about nostalgia. I wanted a '82 or '83 Vision really bad when they came out, but I was in college. So the experience that I want is a Vision that is completely OEM just as it came off the show room flow. The right purchase is all about the experience you are looking for and how much money are you willing spend.

P.S. I must admit that bringing back my Vision from the grave has been a most enjoyable experience that I would probably repeat. Having forums like this and RoV make it even more enjoyable. Although I don't post much, I have spent many hours reading old threads on RoV just for the fun of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:44 am