XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

one hot ride

kev10104
    YIKES!
    YIKES!

one hot ride

Post  kev10104 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:52 pm

I took a little spin with my wife to see Tiger and Cathy and when I got home the bike was so hot.Even the gas tank was hot.I never noticed this before.

qbs
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Re: one hot ride

Post  qbs on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

They can get hot in hot weather. Rely on the temp guage.
    H2O
    Admin
    Admin

Post  H2O on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:08 am

Mine has been hot enough that I looked into the tank with a flashlight & saw the fuel bubbling! I put on heat reflective foam the nest day. The temp gauge was high, but still within the green. The ambient temp was around 95F & I had been out riding fairly hard (for me) for about 4 hours. Haven't had that problem since. It does make me wonder what's happening in the float bowls, though.

H2O
    YellowJacket
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  YellowJacket on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:46 am

I was reading in the old newsletters that one of the original ROV members made a "scoop" of ABS plastic that fit to the down tube and two front frame bars. It worked to direct more airflow up under the tank and around the carbs.

I hadn't had a chance to look at how it would work on YJ - shes in the shop at the moment, but I do have several sheets of high temp ABS that I was going to use for a car stereo project.

An alternative to the tank liner if yours is long gon is the dynamat material made for engine compartments. Its main purpose is sound insulation (don't know what that would do for a Vision) but it is also reflective as well - but that would reflect right back down to the airbox and carbs.

David

kev10104
    YIKES!
    YIKES!

Post  kev10104 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm

There is definitely a good way to deflect the heat we just have to figure it out.
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 am

Don Minor and I were taking about the under tank heat problem. We decided that a flex hose of the type used in cars to transfer heat from the stove to the air cleaner, might work , under the fairing. I'm going to try and create something , when I have time.
    achmed
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  achmed on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

stick-on duct insulation will keep the gas and your boys cooler

a 1/16" drill hole in the neck will help prevent volcanos when filling.

I have had mine on the centerstand, on a hot day, in the garage,
    fiddling with the pilot screws.

The temp gauge was up there, fan kicking on, and I happened to look at the fuel filter..... empty! only fumes Shocked

I tuned it off, set the petcock to prime, and it took several minutes for the filter to fill. every new drop of gas going into the filter would instantly vaporize until things cooled down.

even with the insulation, the fuel gets warm....
    the carbs and boots get hot too, nested between the twin cleavage
    heat from the road keeps things hot

qbs
    Blurred Vision
    Blurred Vision

Post  qbs on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm

One of the '83 mods was fuel recirculation. The petcock has an outbound spigot and an inbound spigot. Pump pulls from the outbound, feeds the carbs, and the rest returns to the tank. Thats why '82 and '83 tanks and petcocks do not interchange. '83 tanks also had insulation from the factory. Yamaha apparently was aware of the heat issue. '83 tanks still do the regurgitate thing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm