XZ550

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
XZ550

Alternate Discussion Board for Vision Riders. XZ550RJ XZ550RK Yamaha Vision

2 posters

more bikes.

Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

more bikes. Empty more bikes.

Post  Rick G Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:14 am

I went nuts over the weekend and bought TWO bikes ( had to borrow the money to get the second one), I hope the weather heats up , or I'm in trouble!
    I drove to Lost Wegas and bought a VX800 Suzuki,its amazing what you can do with a 1982 Dodge D150 and an old trailer! I always wanted a VX800, It was 500.00 Needs a lot! The carbs are off now and I hope to dip them tomorrow.If you think the vision carbs are a pain ,you wouldn't like this bike . The carbs are nuts , the sync is done with a cable ! Probably every week!
    The bad, It will need body work on the tank and of course paint ( it will be black) lots of hardware is missing , the seat needs recovering, the instrument cluster is loose. Needs fuel lines
    The good , nearly new Metzlers on both ends brakes seem to be OK.
    It looks like what the Vision might have looked like , if it had survived.

The second bike is another XL350. I've been teaching my son to ride , out in the desert and we need another bike . the plan is for him to buy it from me. Its a 78 , (mine is a 77) It came with a new set of Kenda dual sport tyres with new tubes and rim strips. I went through the carb and lowered the needle all the way, as well as replacing a missing O ring. It still runs a bit rich even though I amputated the gutted spark arrestor I'll probably go down one size on the pilot jet and the main as well.
    I checked the point gap and timing , but I need to check the valves next.
    More later.
    funkamongus
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

more bikes. Empty Re: more bikes.

Post  funkamongus Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Right on,, more projects!!! Sounds great. I'll be down there, soon, on my Virago. July 4th-ish.. I'll give you a call and see what youre doin.
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:41 am

If your going to be in Parker, you will want to head up I40 to Kman. It was 107 in Bullhead today and 93 in Kman.By July it can be it can be 118/122, along the river.
    We should ride up hill, towards Seligman. Are you up for Supi? Probably 75 up there.
    funkamongus
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  funkamongus Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:41 am

So far, the only plan is that its only 2 this time. The "new" rider, we had last time wont be with us so we can cover more ground... Im thinking we're mostly going to take it easy, hang in Parker for the 4th weekend, and ride some early morning and late evening rides.. My friend Dan has been looking at maps for rides around the area, too. As it gets closer, we'll talk and try to set up a ride!!! I think we'll be there for a couple weeks,this time,.. last time, only a week, didnt seem right,, too much traveling for too little fun.. Im psyched because my Virago will make this trip.. I havent painted the tank yet, its been wet for weeks around here. She runs great, though! See ya soon, Scott
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:53 pm

July along the river can be hot as a pistol, you guys need to head up hill! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Rick G
    Rick G
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  Rick G Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I pulled the carb off of the XL and dropped the needle all the way and found a missing O ring , which I replaced.
    Also amputated the gutted spark arrestor. It runs and starts better , but its still rich, I'll re-jet it this week.I had to use a D7ea plug to keep it from fouling (stock is a D8ea)
    We will also get the new tyres mounted.

Bill, My son , and I went for a ride of about 25 miles across thew desert, on gas pipeline roads , on Neal ranch (56000 acres).
    Bill apologized for not keeping up with me and my having to stop and wait for him! I told him, your Dad has been riding for nearly 50 years and you have been riding for 2 months, your doing fine!! Very Happy Very Happy
    I never taught my kids to ride, too concerned that they might get hurt. When my daughter, Sam , turned 40 she bought a bike and took the coarse. She now puts 15,000 miles a year on her 650 V-star. Bills 37, and just learning . I think I made a big mistake ,in not teaching them long ago.
    funkamongus
    funkamongus
    Vision Zen
    Vision Zen

Post  funkamongus Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:53 pm

right on, you gotta pass it on!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am